WHY WE BUILT THE FREERAIN22
Nearly a decade ago, we built the original FreeRain backpack to fill a specific travel need — the need for a packable backpack that could keep up on outdoor pursuits. It was the first of its kind: waterproof, packable, and highly capable. Today’s Freerain22 is the third generation of that backpack. Designed with purpose and without compromise, the Freerain22 maintains its reputation for peak technical performance.
- 22 liter capacity
- Waterproof main compartment with internally sealed seams
- Rolltop closure features an integrated zipper closure option for fast access or added security
- Compresses for travel, included mesh compression sack
- UHMWPE-reinforced wear panels for extreme durability, abrasion resistance, and tear strength
- Removable hip belt
- Adjustable sternum strap
- Two gear loops with corresponding Hypalon™–reinforced shockcord captures
- Breathable, weight distributing shoulder straps
- Water resistant front zipper pocket with sealing zipper
- Compression straps with side release buckles for stabilizing loads or attaching exterior equipment
- Load lifters for adjusting weight distribution and fit
Not intended for submersion.
Volume: 22 liters
Weight: 10.6oz (300g)
Unpacked Dimensions: 19.5 x 10.5 x 7in (49.5 x 26.7 x 17.8cm)
Packed Dimensions: 3.75 x 3.75 x 5.75in (9.5 x 9.5 x 14.6cm)
- 70D Robic® nylon UHMWPE (ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene) reinforced ripstop, PU waterproofing
- 50D nylon mini ripstop, UTS waterproofing
- Internally sealed seams
- Nylon monomesh shoulder straps
- Hypalon™ rolltop and tether point reinforcements
- Number 5 YKK® PU coated sealing zippers
- YKK® ultralight, wide entry side release buckles
- 210D bonded nylon thread
- UTS coating (ultra tear strength): waterproofing and tear strength increase of 30%
- PU coating: waterproofing
Not intended for submersion.
How waterproof is the Freerain22?
Bags with the Freerain name are built from waterproof materials with sealed seams and rolltop closures. Though not intended for intentional submersion, these bags are 100% weatherproof and will keep water out in the most extreme weather conditions when the rolltop is rolled at least 3 times.
Is the Freerain22 hydration compatible?
No. For hydration compatibility, we suggest the Freerain28, Beast18, or Beast28.
How do I pack up and stow the Freerain22?
We suggest folding the pack in thirds vertically and rolling up tightly from the bottom. Unzip the top closure so that air can escape as it is rolled up. For detailed instructions, the demo video below shows the full pack up.
Does this pack have a hip belt?
Yes, there is a removeable webbing hip belt.
How tall of a person will this backpack fit?
The Freerain22 has a lot of adjustability to accomodate most adults. The tallest person to have tested the Freerain28 is 6'3" but specific fit will depend greatly on the wearer's preference and torso length. The hip belt will accomodate up to 50" circumference.
Does this bag have a warranty?
Yes, this product is warrantied for 3 years. Bags in and out of warranty are eligible for repairs.
Warning: This product can expose you to chemicals including DMF which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information go to P65Warnings.ca.gov
100% waterproof main compartment
Rolltop closure and seam sealed main compartment.
Alpine inspired carry harness
Contoured monomesh shoulder straps distribute weight evenly while the sternum strap, removable hip belt, and load lifters yield an agile, customized fit.
Compresses for travel
Stow into the included mesh compression sack, take it with you.
UHMWPE-reinforced high wear panels feature a practically infallible ripstop grid. Robic® high tenacity nylon paired with UTS waterproof coating enhances material strength an additional 30%. Learn more about UHMWPE.
Engineered for performance first
Boutique engineering that outperforms the big guys. If you know what you want, and care about how it performs, join a brand that shares your priorities.
I take my Freerain on canoe trips and have dunked the whole bag into the water. The contents are always bone dry. The bag is super light, durable, and well thought the out.
- Ian C (verified customer)
"Excellent packable day hike bag"
Took this bag up with me to Blueridge Georgia. On a couple of trails, the pack took a couple of scrapes when I was going under some downed trees and it took it all like a champ. No damage!
- Fransisco (verified customer)